First test version with no database (using xml files instead). More info to follow...
The new version of LCDJ (v1.2) has a number of enhancements over the previous version. Here is a short list of what has been changed (minor bug fixes, as always, are not included in this list):
Additional planned improvements are too many to list really. But one thing I will mention is this. After a lot of thinking (and testing), I have decided to make 1 very important change to the way LCDJ works. I will be removing the database all together and switching to XML files as a database of sorts. This may sound strange to many folks here, but I have a few reasons for attempting this change.
1. XML is portable and platform independent (it's really nothing more than a formatted text file.)
2. XML can be treated like a database for programming purposes anyway.
3. Eliminates the necessity for users to install any database at all.
4. If you are running LCDJ on a server directly, the xml files can be parsed (i.e. via php) and integrated into a web page much more easily than a database. Eventually, I could add an option to ftp the xml files to a remote server as well.
In LCDJ v1.2a1, the Events section is setup using xml instead of a database already and seems to be working pretty well so far.
I still have quite a bit of testing to do on this, but I believe it to be worth a shot. Since I am not sure yet how it will effect the overall performance of LCDJ, this is certainly not written in stone. If it doesn't work out, well, I'll just scrap the idea. But, at least I will have tried.
A couple of items with v1.2a1 that have been brought to my attention that will be fixed for the 1.2a2 release.
1. Song title updates aren't working properly (only artist being sent instead of both artist and title).
2. Crashing with a Framework error (if someone would please send me the entire error message, I should be able to fix the problem)
3. Timers (Remaining, played, etc.) may be in too dark of a font making them difficult to read. This will be adjusted for the 1.2a2 release.
Please post any further bugs/issues in the forum or via the bug tracker. This will help me to track the progress.
Just remember this is an Alpha release and WILL have some bugs/typos/yada yada yada...
1. Starting with this version, Lunarcaster DJ requires you to have BOTH .NET 4.0 and Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 SP2 installed! If you don't have them already, here are the links to where you can get them from Microsoft (Don't worry, both are Free):
2. Vista & Windows 7 users:
3. Here is a list of changes that have been made:
Well, that's about all I can think of that I have changed since v1.0.11 (I left off numerous minor bug fixes and code cleanup stuff that nobody will notice anyway.).
Ok, so, what's next?
Well, the problem right now is, I don't have a road map per se...more a list of future improvements and new features to add.
Here's my list as it stands today:
Note: These are in no particular order. I have no idea, at the moment, of which items will be completed - or even started on - first.
Where to begin with this one?...
NUMEROUS bug fixes
Facelift from hell...lol
Improved Search feature
Added Local volume control
Added volume control for sound effects
Bigger clock ...
I'm sure there was quite a bit more, and I'm sure there are at least a couple bugs to find...but hey, that's what I have you folks for right? ;)
Don't forget, in the main menu here, under Support/HelpDesk, you can submit bug reports. For more direct assistance, use the forums or see if you can catch me
on our IRC channel ( irc://bluemoon-radio.de #LunarCaster )
This is a re-release of version 1.0.10 in order to remove an issue with the uninstaller which casued a false positive Trojan recognition in Avira (Kazy.30127.1).
I'll write more about the release as soon as I can find the time. I've been quite busy lately.
Click here to download. Don't forget, you need to register to download. ;)
Hello LunarCaster users!
What is planned for the next version of LunarCaster DJ?
First let me start by saying thanks to users SetepenRa, Tablettaxi, RFD Blacky, and polo for their bug reports and improvement suggestions. I have spent most of my time working on the bugs first of course. ;) I have now begun trying to implement some of the suggestions.
Welcome to LunarCaster!
What is LunarCaster DJ?
LunarCaster DJ is a Client application for connecting to and DJing on Shoutcast (tested), Icecast (untested), and WMACast (untested). The software has been in a closed Beta testing phase for a number of months and I have now decided to open up the Beta testing to everyone. Please keep in mind however, this is still in BETA TESTING. There WILL be bugs, typos, etc.
Encoders (i.e. LAME.exe for MP3 encoding and enc_aacplus.exe/enc_aacplus.dll for aac encoding) which are needed to broadcast to servers like Shoutcast, must be aquired separately. Licensing this application for MP3 etc. would be far too expensive. A quick google search for the encoders should make it easy enough to find them. Copy these files into the root directory where LunarCaster is installed. After that, everything should work fine. I will be adding some video tutorials soon to help explain the installation and usage better.
LunarCaster DJ was born out of necessity. I was in need of an alternative to the rather cumbersom WinAmp Shoutcast plugin way of DJing and Spacial Audios SAM broadcaster as well as Virtual DJ were, well, too expensive.